1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Toss the garlic with tsp of the oil, wrap in a piece of foil, and roast for one hour.
2. While the garlic roasts, combine the remaining 1⁄4 cup oil with the onion in a small pan and cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring until the onion softens. Reduce the heat to low and add the coriander, cumin, black pepper, turmeric, and cayenne. Cook gently for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. When the garlic is done, remove it to a plate to cool. Squeeze the pulp from the skin directly into the onion mixture.
4. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine the onion mixture, chickpeas, lemon juice, and salt. Puree until smooth, adding a bit of the chickpea cooking liquid or water if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
5. Serve chilled or at room temperature with toasted pita, sliced cucumbers, and other vegetables. Makes a great spread for wraps.
6. Drizzled sun-dried tomato oil or other flavored or herbed oil can be drizzled on top of this hummus to great effect.
Keep up to date on the latest wine releases, events, and promotions!
View Past Newsletters.